Sunday, October 11, 2009

This is very hard to maintain...

But I suppose I must. Between class, work, and being the fucking man, I do not feel as though I have enough spare time to be an active "blogger;" alas, I must trek on.

I must remain embittered for my fellow man!

Perhaps, the greatest disadvantage to doing something like this is my uncanny ability to sleep into the day. I am going to be perfectly honest here, and let you all know that I did not get out of bed until 3:30 pm today. That being said, it is easy to understand how what I post can be considered "old news." Note to self: sleep like a person.

Anyway.

I personally think that Al Franken will become our next blue president. Lately, it seems as though he is the only active, and intellectual, senator we have. Case in point:

If you, for some reason, cannot watch the video, Senator Franken tells the harrowing tale of a Jamie Leigh Jones, an employee of KBR. Jones was gang raped, detained, and, because of the stipulations of KBR's arbitration, could not bring a public case against her employer. In response to this, and several similar situations, Franken proposed (thereby ensuring passage) an amendment to the 2010 Defense Appropriations bill "that would withhold defense contracts from companies like KBR "if they restrict their employees from taking workplace sexual assault, battery and discrimination cases to court."

Now, I know what you're thinking-- this is a no-brainer. It is only logical that a governing body be able not to fund the sort of business that would rape, harass, or attack any of their employees, then proceed to hold them from testifying. This is the sort of legislation that should immediately garner unconditional support, unlike Senator Strom Thurmond's "Look Guys, Not Trying to be a Dick here, but We All Know How the Jews Are" amendment of 1961; however, there are thirty senators who feel like this kind of thing is a bad idea. If you are wondering what type of person would choose the influence of big business over, you know, rights, I will go ahead and make it easier on you:

Barrasso (R-WY)
Bond (R-MO)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johanns (R-NE)
Kyl (R-AZ)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Wicker (R-MS)

This is our legal system; we are represented by slaves of capitalism.

I do not know when our representatives became so eager to give big business a reach around, but it certainly seems like they do anything to keep the largest mouths grinning. This is not trivial regulation, nor is it, in any way, overstepping any constitutional bounds; it is simply an amendment that protects an employees right to protect themselves.

Also, I am sure you noticed the pattern in the senators above. That's right, they are all of the GOP. Now, I try VERY hard not to play the "your political party is absolutely revolting ad indecent" card, because, presonally, I think it is in very poor taste (but to be honest, it is how I feel, wholeheartedly), but I have to play it here.

Is this what the Republican party has become? A group of doughy, under-educated miscreants who would gladly sacrifice our dignities to earn a buck? This is absolutely horrifying. It also leads me to another question:

Why on Earth should we be forced to cooperate with these people.

I realize that a fair amount of our people want bipartisanism in the House; however, isn't bipartisanism only a good idea when both parties have good ideas?

The GOP does not want bipartisanism for you, the GOP wants bipartisanism for them; it is the only way their nonsense justified. These people think that because, by some dreadful occurrence, they have been elected as representatives, they are instantly political scientists whose passions are as good as fact.

This is not the case.

Until the Republicans elect more learned, respectable representatives, it will continue to be a parody of itself, therefore making it a party of inadequate fodder for bipartisanism.

And don;t even get me started on the motherfuckin' Nobel prize!


No comments:

Post a Comment